Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Muse-eum.

I'm allowed to post because I am all caught up with my reading (at least, the reading that is available to me right now).

Went to the ICA Boston yesterday on one of the wettest, most miserable days to take public transport ever. I think the interview went well. They seemed to perk up when I told them that I was aiming for a related career. It isn't much, but it is a start. Meanwhile, my roommate might as well have "Harvard" stamped on her forehead. She's being headhunted, and they basically told her to name her price. A-mazing.

Disheveled, wet and cold aside, the view from the fourth floor was worth the trip. One side of the building faces the river and is 99% glass. In a bleak but beautiful way, the sky, the steel, and the river were all the same color. I wonder if it's like living in snow globe during the winter.


Here's a link to Karaoke Wrong Number by Rachel Perry Welty, which is on display there. The description on the ICA Boston website reads: "Karaoke Wrong Number reveals the simultaneous connections and disconnections of contemporary life, where technology both assists and impedes communication." So my bag.


And in regards to this post, a refined list of keywords:

* a public, site-specific installation (or several) -- a video?
* video plays certain instructive "system messages"
* privacy rights (the lack thereof)
* a slick, sassy website
* some negotiation with the city THE SCHOOL
* 1984
* Walter Lippmann
* "safe, soothing" graphics, e.g. the logo for the Department of Homeland Security

I'll need to elaborate this in writing somewhere. I'm a bit scattered lately -- if anyone needs a disciplined course of instruction, it's me.

No comments: