Friday, April 20, 2007

There's That "Galaxy Expanding" Feeling Again.

"In order to describe the spectacle, its formation, its functions and whatever forces may hasten its demise, a few artificial distinctions are called for. To analyze the spectacle means talking its language to some degree -- to the degree, in fact, that we are obliged to engage the methodology of the society to which the spectacle gives expression. For what the spectacle expresses is the total practice of one particular economic and social formation; it is, so to speak, that formation's agenda. It is also the historical moment by which we happen to be governed."

-- The Society of the Spectacle, Guy Debord


Holy crap. You know when you have one of those ideas that won't let you sleep? This is what's rousing me out of bed right now. I have been dwelling extensively on Adbusters (credit actually goes to my roommate for that, she leaves them lying around the apartment), The Society of the Spectacle, 1984, and stuff like this.
The project involves:

* a public, site-specific installation (or several)
* privacy rights (the lack thereof)
* a slick, sassy website
* some negotiation with the city.


Then again, this is the same city that thought the promo for Aqua Teen Hunger Force was a terrorist attack. I don't know if it would be allowed. In a perfect world, it would be greenlighted, I'd get a hefty grant, helping hands, etcetera. Of course, maybe the "thesis" is just a paper, but it would be absolutely perfect, if, in the process of putting together a project I could:

* freak people out I mean, hold a mirror up to our times
* put together a winning grant application
* get past red tape by talking to lots of interesting people

I am still expecting to go to libraries and look at abstracts but the whole point of picking my school was to go way beyond that. Oh. And. I just got a Creative Commons license. I think everyone should have them, just to be on the safe side.

No comments: